Most cyber attacks affect many victims across several industries. Our multi-industry case study examines how the report of a single incident uncovered adversaries who, using unwitting, intermediate hosts, conducted a sustained espionage campaign against dozens of private sector targets.
Cyber Squared’s six-month investigation discovered:
- Over 20 victims were affected by the same threat group.
- Approximately 50% of the victims were based in the United States.
- Over 75% of the victims were private entities scattered across 7 diverse and seemingly unrelated industries: law firms, public relations, information technology, mining, maritime, manufacturing, think tanks and associations.
- The remaining victims, nearly 25%, were public entities: government agencies and international organizations.
- Attack was systematic. All victims were uniquely tied to Chinese strategic interests at the time of the compromise.
- None of the victims knew they had been compromised.
- Victims were probably compromised between 1 and 6 months but possibly longer.